tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 21 08:56:52 2004

Re: {qon} vs {gher}

Philip Newton ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:07:00 -0400, ngabwI' <[email protected]> w=
rote:
> the use of {Qub} as "I believe", as in {tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh 'e'
> vIQub} "I think you speak Klingon", until I found out that this use is
> canon.

It is? What are the canon citations? (Voragh?)

{Qub} and {Har} for "have the opinion that" both feel _malglico_ to me
(to use a Lojban expression; roughly, it means "influenced by English"
with a derogatory overtone).

I'd aline {Qub} with Lojban {pensi} - to
think/consider/cogitate/ruminate about, to engage in though process.
And {Har} with {krici} - to believe a certain thing despite having no
proof; to hold that X is true. But I'm missing a translation for
{jinvi} - to have an opinion; to opine that X is true.

English uses both "I think that X is true" and "I believe that X is
true" for this; German also uses "I find that X is true" for
expressing opinions.

'ach tlhIngan Hol wIlo'taHvIS nuq wIjatlhnIS?

Knowing that {Qub} is Officially Acceptable would help; I'd also be
interested in the status of {Har}.

However, I imagine the key is in two points you made: (a) follow your
instincts and say what feels right, and its corollary (b) don't say
what feels wrong even if there's official backing or popular usage.

(Another point is with {Sov}, I suppose, which doesn't distinguish
what German has as "wissen" vs "kennen", or French "savoir" vs
"conna=EEtre" - basically "know something (have knowledge)" and "be
familiar with (this is often the sense used when you say you know
someone)".
--=20
Philip Newton <[email protected]>
HovpoH 2608.73