tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 27 10:08:41 2002

Re: adverbials (was: chuvmey ("leftovers"))

>ja' Stephan Schneider <[email protected]>:
>>HIja'. ghIq pab chut mu'mey wIchenmoHnIS maH. qar'a'? wa' mu' 'oH
>>/DevwI'/ mu''e'.
>>(jes. so we have to create grammar terminology. right? for example,
>>"header".)
>
>Making up grammar terminology is arguably okay among people who already
>speak Klingon well.  It's a very dangerous thing to do in the presence of
>beginning students of the language.  And I'm firmly convinced that it's a
>Bad Thing for the beginners themselves to do.

i'm firmly convinced that it's a good thing to make up grammar
terminology on your own. it's challenging, and it's a good training
to grasp the grammar. the main thing is that we keep on understanding
each other, and that we know where the standard definitions are (TKD).

>(Apparently, it's also dangerous to have side discussions about English
>grammar terms, even when they are accompanied by disclaimers stating that
>they have no bearing on Klingon grammar.)

"dangerous" is a dangerous word. it's problematic, complicated,
difficult and challenging, but it's not dangerous.

>-- ghunchu'wI'

tulwI',
sts.

Back to archive top level