tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 20 10:59:59 2002

RE: chotwI'/mang

> >meqchaj vIghojchoH jIH.
>
> maj. jagh SovnISlu' SuvwI'.

-lu' states that the subject is unspecified, but then you specified that the
subject is /SuvwI'/.

jaghDaj SovnIS SuvwI'.

('ej jIQochbe')

> so /-meH/ is semantically equal to /-vaD/, right?

Kind of I guess.
-vaD labels the noun recipient of the action.
-meH labels the verb that benefits from the action.

> >  > naDevHa' chaHtaH 'ej Hol rapHa'qu' jatlh 'ej Qobqu' 'op chaH.
> >  > (they are so far away and speak a very different language, and some
> >  > of them are very dangerous.)
> >
> >naDev is a noun.  -Ha' is a verb suffix.
>
> jes, but the noun /naDev/ can act like an adverbial, which sometimes
> can take /-Ha/ (like /batlh/). /-Ha/ is a rover, isn't it?

SuStel already touched on this.

In ENGLISH "here" might be an ADVERB.
In KLINGON /naDev/ is not an ADVERBIAL.
TKD p56 & p177 lists the klingon adverbials.

naDev and some other words do go at the beginning of the sentence and modify
the sentence kind of like the way english adverbs modify english sentences.

In klingon, adverbials are only part of the group of words that come at the
beginning of the sentence.  As far as I know, Okrand has never labeled this
whole group at the beginning; several people here refer to it as the
"header".
HOVS (Header Object Verb Subject).

The header includes: adverbials, time stamps, locatives, etc.

> >rapHa' "unalike"
> >pIm "different"
>
> now i'm back in italy and i don't have an english dictionary.
> what's the difference (or the unalikenes) between "unalike" and
> "different"?

Same difference as the english.  I thought maybe you used the -Ha' form
because you didn't know about the opposite root /pIm/.
rapHa' is legal.

> >  > maHvaD Qapla''a' roj? DloraH, nuq DaQub?
> >>  (is peace possible for us? DloraH, what do you think?)
> >
> >Qapla' is a noun, "success".
>
> but /-la'/ means also */-lu'laH/, so /Qapla'/ means "it can
> work", doesn't it?

Slang does allow it, but... -lu' states that the subject is unspecified, but
then you specified /roj/ as the subject.

> >maHvaD DuH'a' roj?  "Is peace possible for us?"
> >
> >QaQ roj.  qaq rojna', 'ach ghaytanHa' roj qo'vam.
>
> (doesn't there have to be a verb in /ghaytanHa' roj qo'vam/, or can
> /ghaytanHa'/ mean "to be unlikely"?)

/roj/ is both a noun and a verb.
roj - "peace" (noun)
roj - "make peace" (verb)

> 'ach latlh Doch.
> but that's another thing.)

there is no verb.

> how do you say: that's another topic. ?
> how do you say: what you are talking about?

We don't know how to do this in a simple manner.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level