tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 20 19:26:40 2002

Re: tlhIngan Hol lujatlhbogh puq'e'

>>TKW page 111:
>>   Only a fool fights in a burning house.
>>   meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv qoH neH.
>>
>>I haven't decided how to treat it.  Does it mean the subject of the
>>relative clause is a locative?  Does it just mean the locative of the main
>>clause is the subject of the relative clause, regardless of the syntactic
>>marker on the subject itself?

ja' tulwI':
>meQtaghbogh qach: noun-phrase
>meQtaghbogh qachDaq: locative
>
>/-Daq/ wrapps the noun-phrase /meQtaghbogh qach/.

But can that interpretation account for the {'u' SepmeyDaq Sovbe'lu'bogh}
"to the unknown regions of the universe" in {...'u' SepmeyDaq Sovbe'lu'bogh
lenglu'meH He ghoSlu'bogh retlhDaq 'oHtaH...} from Skybox 99?

>when i find my tkd, maybe i can say what 'wrapping' means.

It sounds like you're thinking along the lines of "transformational"
grammar, with functions and operations and algorithmic creation of phrases.
While you can treat Klingon (or nearly any langauge) in that way, I think
it would be more useful for programming a computer to generate random
grammatical snippets of text than for learning how to speak the language.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level