tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 15 05:37:32 2002

Re: tlhIngan Hol lujatlhbogh puq'e'

>From: "Stephan Schneider" <[email protected]>
>
>>  >toghmeH  jav Hol'e'  Ebben wIghojmoH.  'ach toghmeH neH; jav Hol
>mu'tlhegh
>>
>>  how can you add /jav Hol'e'/ without claiming that it's the object of
>>  /ghojmeH/? this is a focus-object-verb sentence. i didn't know this
>>  was possible.
>
>jav Hol'e' *Ebben* wIghojmoH.
>"Regarding six languages, we teach Ebben."
>
>/jav Hol'e'/ is the topic of the sentence.  We have a little verification of
>this kind of usage from Star Trek V:
>
>qIbDaq SuvwI''e' SoH Dun law' Hoch Dun puS.
>You would be the greatest warrior in the galaxy.
>"In the galaxy, regarding warriors, you are the most wonderful of all."
>
>SuStel
>Stardate 2614.7

so /'e'/ can be a case tag. i wasn't aware of that. i remember that
one said that there can be confusion about focus and topic... i think
now i understand it better: /'e'/ can be either a case tag for a
focus or a topicalizer (that is not a case tag). qar'a'?

tulwI',
sts.

Back to archive top level