tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 21 00:10:45 2001

Re: I had an idea, I don't know how...

> > > puq rur; ghaHvaD yIQIj.

Jiri:
> > This doesn't make it clear who it is that resembles a child here (even
> > less than mine).

SuStel:
> Oh, you're worried about the context?  That doesn't make my sentence
> wrong, just vague without the situation.  Here, have some context:
> Nesmith (speaking to Mathezar):  . . . yaS ngeb wIDa.
> Ironically, Klingon lacks the precise terms that Mathezar doesn't
> understand, but has the one he does: /nep/.  Instead of a general "We
> pretended," I've used "We behaved as fake officers."  I was going to
> leave it as /maDa/, but I'd just used /DawI'/ twice, and thought it
> needed something else this time.

But you still have wIDa there... perhaps <mangeb> "we were fake", except
that gets used in the next bit. Some sort of -law' construction? <pImlaw'>?

> > puqvaD DaQIj 'e' yIDa

> > (Except - as usual - TKD is rather vague on what the object should be.
> > Is this right?)

> I'll buy it.  The problem is, I'm already using /Da/ for the rest of the
> scene to mean something very different and much more important.

> You could probably get away with something even shorter, just:

> puqvaD yIQIj.
> Explain for a child.

Which gets us almost back to my original...

puqHeyvaD yIQIj.
Explain for the apparent child.

Jiri
--