tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 21 01:13:38 2001

Re: KLBC: jajwIj

jatlh DloraH ([email protected]):
>-'egh says that the subject is also the object; but the vI- says the subject
>and object are two different things.

I must have been thinking in French: "Je m'appelle Sengval", I call myself
Sengval.

Although in this instance the meaning "One calls me Sengval" is fair enough,
I can imagine a situation where you'd want to say that you call _yourself_
something (but other people call you something else).  Maybe if you're trying
to change your name, but people haven't picked up on it yet.  How would you
express that?  Perhaps  {jIHvaD Sengval vIpong}?  Or would that just sound
strange?

<snip>
>The suffix -pu' is aspect.  So the second sentence says "During a few
months, I
>had already read this thing."  During a few months, the act of reading had
been
>completed.  Without the -pu' it would say that the reading took place during
>few months.

jIyaj.  So, if I wanted to tell my age (something I was thinking about
today), I would say {qaStaHvIS wa'maH Hut DIS jIyIn} "I'm nineteen years
old", going against the English example "I have lived nineteen years", which
does include a completed aspect.

<snip>
>Another method (which some people don't like) is to use a type 5 noun suffix
>and send it to the beginning of the sentence where type 5 suffixes gather
into
>a soup of things that are not objects, verbs or subjects.
>Sajmaj'e'  maja'chuq - "Setting the focus on our pets, we conversed."

That sounds very odd to me; I can see why people wouldn't like it.  Are there
any canon examples of this construction, or similar constructions?

<snip>
>In your last sentence, the klingon is vengmaj, the english is "their new
>city".  Different suffix.

jIyaj.  vItI': {DaH vengchaj chu'Daq jup lughaj be' vIghro'Daj je.}

>You certainly did well.  Even with those few mistakes, we understood what
you
>were saying.  Excellent job.

qatlho'.  jIbel.

-Sengval