tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 20 23:37:49 2001

Re: I had an idea, I don't know how...

From: "Jiri Baum" <[email protected]>
> > puq rur; ghaHvaD yIQIj.
>
> This doesn't make it clear who it is that resembles a child here (even
less
> than mine).

Oh, you're worried about the context?  That doesn't make my sentence wrong,
just vague without the situation.  Here, have some context:

Sarris (obviously talking about Mathezar): ghaHvaD yIngu''eghchu'.  yIja'!
(pushes Nesmith)  QIj!

Nesmith (speaking to Mathezar): Mathezar, SaHbe' Taggert HoD.  Jason Nesmith
'oH pongwIj'e'.  DawI' jIH.  DawI' maH.

Sarris (speaking to Nesmith): yajbe' ghaH.  puq rur; ghaHvaD yIQIj.

Nesmith (speaking to Mathezar):  . . . yaS ngeb wIDa.

Mathezar (waiting for an explanation that's already passed)

Nesmith (to Mathezar): manep.

Mathezar (shocked)

Ironically, Klingon lacks the precise terms that Mathezar doesn't
understand, but has the one he does: /nep/.  Instead of a general "We
pretended," I've used "We behaved as fake officers."  I was going to leave
it as /maDa/, but I'd just used /DawI'/ twice, and thought it needed
something else this time.

With context, my original suggestion makes sense (at least to me).

> puqvaD DaQIj 'e' yIDa
>
> (Except - as usual - TKD is rather vague on what the object should be. Is
> this right?)

I'll buy it.  The problem is, I'm already using /Da/ for the rest of the
scene to mean something very different and much more important.

You could probably get away with something even shorter, just:

puqvaD yIQIj.
Explain for a child.

SuStel
Stardate 1889.7