tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 20 00:23:24 2001

Re: I had an idea, I don't know how...

Jiri:
> > But the main question was - does QAO work if the second verb reasonably
> > takes a question as an object? For instance <<jang>>?

SuStel:
> The correct object for /jang/ is apparently the person being answered
> (e.g.  /qajang/ "I answer you"),

Ah.

> in which case there is no way /'e'/ could be an appropriate object.

Obviously. Are there any other verbs that would take a question as an
object? (and wouldn't be verbs of saying to begin with)

Perhaps <<QIj>> or <<ngu'>>?

> Remember, if you're talking about conversation (such as "I answered, 'I
> will kill you now'"), /jang/ is not a "verb of saying."

Certainly.

I'm more wondering about QAO, if it would be more sensible if the second
verb actually did take a question as its object. <<janglaHbe'>> was the
example, translated as "I don't know", but that won't work if <<jang>> has
the wrong object...

How about:

    qatlh mevpu' 'e' vIQIjlaHbe'
    qatlh mevpu' 'e' vIngu'laHbe'