tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 07 15:48:20 2011

RE: mu'tlheghvam yIlughmoH

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

> Why would you want to avoid recasting?

I don't think people are avoiding recasting; multiple options have been provided, some of which have been complete recasts.
I feel that in order to be properly direct, one should incorporate a question or command, rather than just making a statement.  My personal favorite remains {nuq 'oH bomvam 'o'megh'e'.}, as it gets the point across.  Adding "I don't know it yet." would normally be redundant; if you knew it, you probably wouldn't ask.
However, it appears that the original intent was also to clarify that the speaker doesn't recognize it **yet**, as opposed to, say, that he's never heard it.  For clarifications like these, I feel that using multiple sentences makes a lot of sense.

Compare to http://klingonska.org/canon/search/?file=1995-06-holqed-04-2-a.txt&get=source

--------------------
LS: Then how can we say "The ship on which the captain kills the
    prisoners is very large?"

MO: I would do it with two sentences.

LS: Just say "The ship's big," and "the captain kills prisoners on it."

MO: Yeah. You can probably do all kinds of topicalizing things about
    the ship, if you're talking about the ship and want to make a big
    deal about the fact that it's big.
--------------------

Normally, the size of the ship can be omitted, as there is little correlation [that I know of] between ship size and child beating.  However, if one wishes to make a big deal about the ship's size, one can use two sentences.

> 'ach vISIv, {wej vISovbe'} ghap {wej vISov}, 'ej qatlh
{wej vISov.}
jIQaghpu'.

> 'ach DuHmey chu' ghojlaHmeH  vIgheltaH.
An important thing to remember about purpose clauses is that you need to use the right verb prefix for the purpose action.

HeghmeH romuluSngan vIHIv. - "So that he/she/it dies, I attack the Romulan." or "So that the Romulan dies I attack him/her/it."
jIHeghmeH romuluSngan vIHIv. - "In order to die, I attack the Romulan." (apparently I want to expediate my journey to Sto-vo-kor)
bIHeghmeH romuluSngan vIHIv. - "I attack the Romulan in order for you to die." (maybe the Romulan and you are performing a dangerous circus trick together...  ...you treacherous petaQ!)

ghojlaHmeH 'Iv DagheltaH?

Back to archive top level