tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 07 15:07:36 2011

Re: mu'tlheghvam yIlughmoH

From: Felix Malmenbeck

> Personally, I think that nuq {'oH bomvam 'o'megh'e'.  wej vISovbe'.}
> works.  "What is this song's ending?  I don't know it yet." What the
> object ("it") of the second sentence signifies is left up to context,
> and I don't think there can be much doubt that it's the song's
> 'o'megh.

Everyone is going out of their way to find justifications and
workarounds for questions as objects, when the correct course of action
is to recast the sentence. In this case your sentences are grammatically
correct, but using a pronoun (or pronomial prefix) without an
antecedent is sloppy, at least.

Why would you want to avoid recasting? Exactly what you come up with
depends on what you're trying to say. You'll be more specific at the
same time.

   wej bomvam 'o'megh vISov
   I don't know this song's ending yet

   wej bomvam 'o'megh vIghov
   I don't recognize this song's ending yet

   wej bomvam 'o'megh vIQoypu'
   I haven't heard this song's ending yet

   wej bomvam 'o'megh vIghojpu'
   I haven't learned this song's ending yet

--
SuStel
http://www.trimboli.name/

Back to archive top level