tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 07 10:57:52 2011

RE: mu'tlheghvam yIlughmoH

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
>>  chay' van bomvam?  wej 'e' vISov.
>>  How does this song end?  I don't know [that] yet.
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv
> Are there any canon examples of a question as object as you propose
> here?  Typically, {'e'} represents a sentence, not the answer or
> response to a sentence, which is what you are suggesting.

Actually, this wasn't the dreaded question-as-object (QAO).  That would be (correcting my earlier mis-use of {van}):

  * wej chay' bomvam luvan 'e' vISov.
    I don't know how they end this song yet.

It's actually two separate sentences.

   chay' bomvam luvan?         wej 'e' vISov.
   How do they end this song?  I don't know that yet.

And yes, I know it's a fine distinction - especially in speech - but the pronoun {'e'} "that (previous topic)" can be used this way, just like any other pronoun.  E.g.

  'e' luSov
  They know that. TKD

  'e' vIlegh
  I see that.  TKD

  'e' neHbe' vavwI'.
  That wasn't what my father wanted. ST6

  'e' bop.
  That's what it's all about.
  (Qanqor at qep'a' 2005; usage approved by Okrand)

--
VoraghÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level