tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 07 07:20:28 2011

RE: mu'tlheghvam yIlughmoH

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Still another way of asking this question is with a verb {van} "end (an event)":

  chay' van bomvam?  wej 'e' vISov.
  How does this song end?  I don't know [that] yet.

HQ 12.2 p.8-9:  Generally, one expresses the end of a stretch of time by using a verb rather than a noun. That is, one says "when the month ends" rather than "at the end of the month". The verb for this kind of end is {Dor} [...] When an event over which one has some control ends (one can't cause a month to end), a different verb is used: {van}. This would apply to such things as voyages, battles, plays, operas, stories, and songs. Here, the event (the voyage, the song) doesn't end; the participant in the event or the perpetrator of the event ends it. [...] Note that the voyage and the song cannot end themselves. Someone has to end them. [...]
   There is a difference between the end of the performance of a song or opera or play, indicated by making use of the verbs {van} and {ghang} ["end (an event) prematurely"], and the ending, or final portion, of a song or opera or play itself. For an opera, play, story, speech, and so on, the final portion is its {bertlham}. This word usually refers to the last aria or other musical portion in an opera, last speech in a play, last sentence or so of a story or an address [...] For a song--but only for a song--the final portion is its {'o'megh}. Parallel to {bertlham}, {'o'megh} is the final phrase or so of the song, one that brings the song to a definite conclusion. All songs have endings ({'o'meghmey}), some more elaborate or stirring than others.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level