tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 27 14:21:37 2010

RE: New words

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

> I wonder if Okrand had already come up with {meyvaQ}
> and this is why he was careful to pronounce {ma'veq}
> differently at Praxis 1998!

It may also be because The Star Trek Encyclopedia had not yet come out, and he didn't have access to the script (he's not credited as having worked on it...  ...and lines like "E-cha!" ("Touché!"), "Movek." ("I lose.") and "You miserable koruts!" don't exactly screm of his involvement), so he only had Tony Todd's pronunciation in DS9: "Sons of Mogh" to go by.
However, I kind of wonder if DeCandido might have thrown it in just so that we would have something to giggle at whenever somebody pronounces mevak "may vock" ;)

Did Okrand vet the glossary of Enemy Territory, as he did those of some of DeCandido's other works?  If so, this has got to be the naughtiest word to make it into canon yet.
[...and it would give us a canonical tlhIngan Hol for klin zha (tlhInja), which I'm sure many of us would be glad to have.]

Back to archive top level