tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 27 13:46:51 2010

RE: New words

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Felix:
>>> mevaq = mevak dagger

Voragh:
>> {mevaq}  *m'veQ* dagger (KRAD: A Good Day to Die [DeCandido])
>> Used in the Mauk-to'Vor death ritual. First seen in DS9 "Sons of
>> Mogh".

Felix:
> Interestingly, at the Praxis convention in 1998, Marc Okrand reportedly
> used the pronunciation {ma'veq}, and according to Hol 'ampaS, "Okrand
> has confirmed that the new word for the ceremonial knife is {ma'veq}."
> This is actually how Kurn pronounces it in "Sons of Mogh" (which I
> believe is the only episode in which this traditional knife's name has
> been used), although the script (according to ST-minutiae) writes it as
> "mevak" and gives the pronunciation as "meh-VIK".

I should have searched my notes more thoroughly.  I found an alternate spelling and a comment by charghwI' about Praxis 1998 presentation:

{ma'veq}  *m'veQ* knife [ceremonial knife used with adanji incense in
   the ritual of Mauk-to'Vor (DS9 "Sons of Mogh"). "The word comes
   from a [.wav] recording of Okrand's pronunciation at an exhibit
   at 1998 Praxis.  The exhibitor was told by someone other than
   Okrand that it should be spelled *m'veQ*." (charghwI' 2/99)]

I'll mark {ma'veQ} as the preferred spelling (with your comments) and list {mevaq} as an alternate.  We have other variant spellings:  e.g. {ghe'tor} vs. {ghe''or} for Gre'thor.

> Just make sure you never mistake this for a meyvaQ...

{meyvaQ}  a sex aid [Based on context in the book, this would appear
   to be a "toy" and not a "drug". (KRAD: Enemy Territory) [DeCandido]]

I wonder if Okrand had already come up with {meyvaQ} and this is why he was careful to pronounce {ma'veq} differently at Praxis 1998!

This goes to show that any Klingon dictionary is always a "work in progress".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level