tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 27 10:34:47 2010

RE: New words

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Andrew:
> I have a question for Voragh:

I've been away from my email over the holiday, so excuse my late response.

> I've been trying to update my own private database for new words and in
> the Hol 'ampaS link I found various new words I didn't have yet. For some
> others I have "???" as the source, not knowing what the canon source is.

Tell me about it!  I have the same problem with many of the words in my notes, but I'll share what I have about these.

> Voragh, if you happen to find the time over QISmaS, could you tell me what
> you know about the following words (Okrand's translations, reference
> and example sentences)?
>
> 'elI'jaH = unexpected visitor

"paqDaq latlh mu' ghaj Okrand 'e' vIlegh. <'el'I'jaH> 'oHlaw'. 'ej "uninvited guest" 'oS. mu'vetlh maqbejbe'mo' chaq mu'na' bIHbe'."  [Qov 8/02/2007]

"I never heard it pronounced. [Okrand] opened a notebook and uncovered the word. I most certainly could have remembered it incorrectly. I saw it only as a Klingonized Elijah ... I remembered it as containing all the letters of elijaH, with some stops thrown in. It could easily have been {'elI'jaH}."  [Qov, 8/10/07]

"The word Okrand wrote in my notebook during last year's qep'a' [i.e. 2006] was spelled <'elI'jaH>. The English translation, written by Lawrence below the Klingon word, was 'unexpected visitor'."  ['ISqu' 8/11/07]

Don't confuse {'elI'jaH } with another new word {nIyma'} used metaphorically:

"{nIyma'} is the Klingon word for 'phantom' or 'apparition'--something that seems to appear, but isn't really there. ... He said that although the word doesn't really mean 'invited guest that doesn't show up', it made a lot of sense to him to use {nIyma'} to refer to such a person."  [Okrand to Quvar, 11/23?/08]

> SaHHa'ghach = disinterest
> pIlHa' = be unmotivated
> SaHHa' = be unconcerned (about)

Qurgh posted after the last qep'a':

"At the qep'a' this year I asked Marc to ask Maltz for a few translations for the Klingon Christmas Carol play. This morning he sent me a message, and while there aren't any new words per se, I thought I'd share it with the group:

'Here's what Maltz has come up with. He offers you choices!  [For] The Final Reflection, he suggests {tonSaw' Qav} "final fighting technique," since "reflection" is a maneuver in a game (is Maltz right about that?). But if "reflection," as in "image in a mirror" is needed, he offered {neSlo' tonSaw' Qav}.

For "apathy" and "corruption," since they're animals pulled out of a pocket, he went with:

"apathy" (or "apathy creature") - {SaHHa'wI'} "one who is not concerned"
or {pIlHa'wI'} "unmotivated one"

"corruption" (or "corruption creature") - {quvHa'wI'} "dishonored one"

If it works better to to have concepts rather than beings/animals for these words, he offered:

"apathy"     {SaHHa'ghach} ("disinterest")
"corruption" {quvHa'ghach} ("dishonor").'

We went with {neSlo' tonSaw' Qav} for the title of the book, since "reflection", in this case, refers to version of *klin zha* that is played with a mirror." [qurgh, 9/01/2010]

{SaHHa'} and {pIlHa'} are derived from Okrand's suggested {-wI] and {-ghach} forms and the pre-existing verbs {SaH} "care for, be concerned about" and {pIl} "be stimulated, be inspired, be motivated" (KGT).

> tlhIghaq = trigak (a predator animal)

"A predatory animal with sharp teeth that it bares before attacking." (KRAD: Honor Bound et al. [DeCandido])

> moqbara = mok'bara (I have the spelling moQbara', so...?)

{moQbara'} is the official spelling in KGT.  AFAIK it's never been used in a Klingon sentence.  We know of a few words relating to Mok'bara movements if you're interested.

> mevaq = mevak dagger

{mevaq}  *m'veQ* dagger (KRAD: A Good Day to Die [DeCandido]) Used in the Mauk-to'Vor death ritual. First seen in DS9 "Sons of Mogh".

> yaDpach = toenail

Non-canonical but modeled on {nItlhpach} "fingernail".

> puyjaq'a' = super nova

Non-canonical, but an obvious extension of {puyjaq} "nova".

> Do QIn = instant message (IM)

Non-canonical; it's in my notes too, source unknown.  It's clearly modeled on {Do Qe'} *Dok'e*, a "velocity restaurant" (i.e. a fast food joint) from KGT (p. 102f.)  I really like it, however, and I'd like to give credit where it's due.

> Some of those are of course regular grammatical constructions, like pIlHa'
> or Do QIn, but I'd like to know if they're official, before I add "random"
> words to my Lexique Pro database.

There's nothing wrong with using "unofficial" words, especially if they are widely used (e.g. {jabbI'ID} "data transmission" which we use for an email post on the mailing list).  Just make sure you label them as such in your database; I tag such words with "ML" for "mailing list".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level