tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 27 12:38:30 2010

RE: New words

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

Gah, hit the send button a bit to soon...

>> mevaq = mevak dagger
> {mevaq}  *m'veQ* dagger (KRAD: A Good Day to Die [DeCandido])
> Used in the Mauk-to'Vor death ritual. First seen in DS9 "Sons of Mogh".

Interestingly, at the Praxis convention in 1998, Marc Okrand reportedly used the pronunciation {ma'veq}, and according to Hol 'ampaS, "Okrand has confirmed that the new word for the ceremonial knife is {ma'veq}."
This is actually how Kurn pronounces it in "Sons of Mogh" (which I believe is the only episode in which this traditional knife's name has been used), although the script (according to ST-minutiae) writes it as "mevak" and gives the pronunciation as "meh-VIK".

Just make sure you never mistake this for a meyvaQ...

Back to archive top level