tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 08 08:08:03 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] mIl'oD veDDIr SuvwI': 'ay' 15 - pop 'oH ghob'e'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

QeS:
> qo' bel ghaH tIna'tIn'e', mIp'a' wellu'bogh ghaH.

Qov:
>> Tinatin was a pleasant world, She was a fortune owed.

QeS:
> Hrm. I see how you got "a pleasant world". I'll
> change it to {qo'vaD bel} or {qo' bel'a'} (the
> English is "She is the joy of the world, she is
> treasure and due").

Qov:
>> qo' bel'a' brings the meaning to me more
>> directly.  I don't understand the point of the
>> 'due' or 'owed' aspect.  Are you sure the word
>> due in the original has the meaning of something
>> that must be paid?

QeS:
> Yep. The Georgian is /vali/ "debt", from the same root as
> /movalea/ "to owe".  Nevertheless I'm a bit in two minds
> about keeping it - it is pretty opaque.

I like *{mIp'a'} here, but WRT debts we now have {qav'ap} "amount (of money), rent" from Monopoly:

  voHDajbo' qav'ap
  mortgage value MKE

  HoSHal ghajchugh vay', mI' naghmey tIronmoH. wa'maHlogh
  boq'egh mI' naghmey; chen qav'ap. ghajwI'vaD qav'ap yIDIl.
  If [energy source is] owned, throw dice and pay owner a
  total ten times amount shown. MKE

  pIraqSIS HoS waw' ghajlu'chugh, loSlogh boq'egh mI'
  naghmey mI'; chen qav'ap
  If Praxis Energy Facility is owned, rent is 4 times
  amount shown on dice. MKE

  Duj ghajchugh vay', cha'logh boq'egh qav'ap motlh; chen
  qav'ap le'. ghajwI'vaD qav'ap le' yIDIl.
  If [ship is] owned, pay owner twice the rental to which
  they are otherwise entitled. MKE

{qav'ap} seems to be an amount of money owed for something, the most usualy form is rent or a fee of some kind; it might be used for a payment on a dept or loan.  However... using it to refer to a woman probably sends the wrong message!  <g>

And while we're talking about vocabulary relating to debts, we also have {voHDajbo'} "ransom, mortgage":

  voHDajbo' qav'ap
  mortgage value MKE

  voHDajbo' wellu' 200
  Mortgaged for 200. MKE

  yervamvaD voHDajbo' wellu'chugh, 'echletHom Dopvam yIcha'
  Card must be turned this side up if property is mortgaged. MKE

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons