tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 04 11:59:53 2011

Re: tato'eba' yImuv 'ej mu'tlheghmey tImugh!

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

If you're going to transliterate placenames into
Klingon, I find taking the English form a little
imperialistic. We saw an Enterprise crewmember
speaking her national language on board the ship
in literally from the very first episode aired,
so the Federation isn't set in a world where
Earth has been degraded to a monolingual society.
It's possible that the Klingons got their
knowledge of Earth countries all from English
language databases and not from any direct
relations with the countries, but I like to think
that by the time Klingons had a need to name
Earth countries, they would be talking to those
people and why would the universal translator
render the name of a country to the Klingon in English?

I usually leave country names untranslated for
clarity, but if I need to translate them for
effect, I do my best to render them in a Klingon
version of the name of the country as pronounced
in the official or majority language of that
country, giving me things like vIronaS, Doyche'
puH, 'eSpanganpu'. We see a lot of foreign
placenames in Klingon with an optional -ya' e.g. DenIb[ya'].

So if you're going for the "Klingon knowledge of
Earth comes from English" idea I think SInya' or
chInya' would be more likely than trying to
replicate the English dipthong, but my favourite
would be jongqu'a' or jong'u'a'.
http://www.forvo.com/word/zhongguo/. The second
syllable starts with a sound absent in Klingon,
but it's nothing near a gh to my ear,

Back to archive top level