tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 04 12:29:14 2011

RE: tato'eba' yImuv 'ej mu'tlheghmey tImugh!

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

>But *if* you like Klingonized Terran country
>names, Qov has a convenient list of them on her
>Klingon blog:
>http://bologh.blogspot.com/2004_02_15_bologh_archive.html#107706590568345242
>
>... which does have the advantage of being a
>shared list so we don't have to argue about
>every single transliteration every single
>time.  And {chay'na'} (with a final apostrophe) is on her list.

And it looks like I've changed my mind on that
since then, yet another argument not to do
it!  It should be noted that part of my intention
with that blog was to make it a wall of
unfamiliar text to the non-Klingon speaker and
not reveal lins to another particular language,
so untransliterated English names were against my purpose.

Although it's not as if the official
transcriptions of country names don't change in
real life. Did you know that Kampuchea and
Cambodia are both transcriptions of the same
Khmer (i.e. Cambodian) word. The sounds don't
match English, so there is that much variation in the way it comes out.

wo' SamDI' wa Hoq, wo'vetlh pong Suq 'ej
latlhpu'vaD Qum. Qatlhqu'taHvIS leng, SamwI' pong
lo' Hoch. 'a Deutschlandnganpu' yIqel. Doyche'
pong'egh; jurman wIpong. nemetlh pong latlh 'ej 'alemang pong latlhpu'!

[Oh look, there's another method I like, possibly
my favourite: leave the country name untranslated
in the script and form of its majority/official language.]

>lay'tel SIvten:
>
>ghunchu'wI':
> >> 'a <chan'a'> vIlo' vIneH. mu'qIDmey vIparHa'.
>
>Andre:
> > But of course things like {chay'na} are completely arbitrary... I could've
> > written {chayna} or {chayna'} or of course something like {junggho}.
> > In the Klingon Wikipedia (now on Wikia) we left foreign names as they were
> > but italicized them. That's not an option for Tatoeba, though. Marking
> > them like "China"-vo' "Japan"-Daq jIlengpu' is ugly in such cases too.
> >
> > Do you think it's better to leave them just like they are and write, e.g.
> > China-vo' Japan-Daq jIlengpu' (or maybe without the hyphens?)? If there's
> > something like consensus about this, I'd be willing to change the sentences
> > with proper names to a new format.
>

>But whatever method you prefer WRT proper names, you would still need to say:
>
>   CHINA Sepvo' KUNMING vengvo' SavanneS
>
>We know that the locative suffixes {-Daq} - and
>probably {-vo'} - need to be added to each
>noun/name of a hierarchical location (e.g.
>Chicago, Illinois, USA, Earth).  There's an example on the BoP Poster:
>
>   tlhIngan juHqo'Daq tlhIng yoSDaq 'oH toQDuj chenmoHlu'meH Daq wa'DIch'e'
>   1st Construction Site: The Kling District, Klingon Home World.   (KBoP)
>
>If however the nouns are in apposition to each
>another (e.g. their homeworld, Kronos) the
>suffix need only be added to the last in the series:
>
>   juHqo' Qo'noSvo' loghDaq lengtaHvIS tlhInganpu'
>   During the (aggressive) expansion of the Klingon people from their
>    homeworld of Kronos into space...  (SP1)
>

>--
>Voragh                        Â
>Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level