tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 04 07:01:22 2011

Re: tato'eba' yImuv 'ej mu'tlheghmey tImugh!

MorphemeAddict ([email protected])

I think it's better not to translate place (or other) names. Instead of
{chay'na}, use {China}, for example, since the spelling is fairly consistent
across natlangs, but the pronunciation varies radically.
lay'tel SIvten

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 5:27 AM, André Müller <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello fellow Klingonists,
> There's a website out there called Tatoeba (Japanese for "for example"),
> which collects example sentences in any language which then are translated
> by visitors of the site into any other language. You might first think:
> "What is this crap used for?!", so read its purposes on the website itself.
> I mainly contribute for the joy of translating random phrases. Some time
> ago
> I requested the Klingon language to be added and I've been translating
> about
> over 600 sentences since.
> Here's the link: http://tatoeba.org
>
> The site seems to be frequented by Esperantists, so why not try to make it
> source of (non-canon) example sentences for Klingon, too? Of course, you
> can
> also add canon-sentences with their original English translation or add
> translations in any other language you know (some here speak German, Dutch
> and Swedish, I know).
>
> Some notes (so we might stay consistent): I've never dared to translate
> country names (except for "United Kingdom", for which we have a jocular,
> yet
> canon source), but I transcribed proper names of people and cities (Nancy >
> nenSIy; Paris > perIS, as I assume Klingons would know Terran place names
> through DIvI' Hol). I used ! and ? at the end of imperative and
> interrogative sentences and «...» as/for quotes. Oh, and always translate
> directly from the source sentences. Don't translate from Japanese if you
> only understand it's English translation. ;)
>
> I think, all translations are by me, so far. I believe my Klingon is quite
> grammatically correct (I hope this doesn't sound arrogant), although you've
> probably never seen me post anything in Klingon here. But please indicate
> corrections or comments below the sentences.
>
> I'd be happy to see more Klingon sentences added by you over time! :)
>
> chay'na Sep qunmIng vengvo' SavanneS,
> - André

Back to archive top level