tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 27 10:10:00 2010

RE: mu' chu'

Agnieszka Solska ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

ja' ghunchu'wI' 'utlh:

> A cadre of grammarians had the opportunity to preview a section of a
> Klingon opera. In it we noted a smattering of tlhIngan Hol spellings
> for names of various places, people, and plants. Someone wrote them
> down, but I did not think them important enough at the time to record
> them myself. I do recall that {Suto'vo'qor} was confirmed as correct.
>
> (...)
>
>   maQ "omen, sign"

Actually,  the word which appeared in the English text of the opera was the word "signal,"
and I believe it is appropriate to add this sense to the gloss for the word {maQ}.
For my part, I was overjoyed to see a canon for for "signal"  because now I can  use it in
my translation of the Art of War.

ghel qurgh:

> When I was talking to Eric about the new words, he also mentioned
> ghIv - limb (of a person)
>
> Was that not on the list?

No, it was't. {gham} was.

Marc Okrand said (in a  conversation we had at breakfast on Saturday morning) that
the person who did the first translation of the opera into Klingon used {QIv} (or possibly {qIv},
as they were not consistent in their use of capitalisations) in the name of a moQbara' technique,
or a practice form, which involved legs and arms. Neither {QIv} nor {qIv} made any sense of course,
but because the singers had already gotten used to singing this line, Marc decided not to change
the line too drastically and simply came up with a word that sounded similar to QIv/qIv and had the
relavant meaning. He also pointed out that {ghIv} only refers to a limb of a person, unlike {gham},
which refers to a limb of an animal. I started speculating that maybe there is yet another term which
applies to the legs of objects such as chairs and tables, and Marc said that this is possible.

'ISqu'

Back to archive top level