tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 27 09:43:23 2010

SV: 'u': the first authentic Klingon opera on earth

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

>>  We Terrans will be performing an authentic battle opera.
> [Weird grammar alert:]
> may' ghe'naQ numuchlu' tera'nganpu'.
> [Very loose translation, very strange grammar. Maybe someone else hears something that makes more sense?]

I believe he says:
may' ghe'naQ lumuchrup tera'nganpu'.
{The humans are prepared to present a battle opera.}

>> In the days that follow the summer solstice in the Year of Kahless 846.
> poH tuj bI' reS numbogh wa' jaj.
> [WTF? Surely I am mistaken here. Maybe {bIleS numbogh wa' jaj}?]
>qeylIS DIS chorghvatlh loSmaH jav qaStaHVIS.

Sound to me like:
poH tuj bI'reS nungbogh wa' jaj.
{A day which precedes the warm season's (opera/play/speech/...)-beginning.}
or {A warm-season-beginning which precedes a day.}

He might have meant something like "The opera begins on a day which is preceded by the warm period of time."

That, or the Summer solstice is called poH tuj bI'reS ("the warm period's beginning", "the summer's opening act"), and he meant wa' jaj'e' nungbogh toH puj bI'reS {a day which is preceded by the warm season's opening act}.
That makes some sense; the Klingon day cycle goes from sunrise to sunrise, so perhaps the Summer solstice is not "Midsummer" in their minds, but rather the first day of Summer.
...although at the same time, while the days keep getting brighter following the dawn, the days keep getting darker after the Summer solstice, so that wouldn't make it much a poH tuj.

//Felix

Back to archive top level