tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 10 17:06:02 2010

Re: qoSwIj

Steven Lytle ([email protected])

jIQoch.
The expression before {pIq} is the target, the end point in the future, not
the start point, which is always {DaH}. So {DaH pIq} means the same as
{DaH}, if it means anything at all.
lay'tel SIvten

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 6:54 PM, Alex Greene <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > puq poHmey law' pIq "Many generations hence ..."
>
> > > DaH pIq "From this time forward ..."
>
> > vIyajbe'qu'!
>
> pIq refers to a point of time measured relative to the moment of utterance
> of the statement. A time that is X units from the time this statement is
> made. (Same goes for ret, of course).
>
> I read the definition of pIq as "time from now (future)", unless I
> downloaded it from the KLI wrongly somehow.
>
> In any case, DaH is equivalent to *pagh lup pIq, as it were: a time period
> /zero/ seconds from this moment.
>
> Even *wa' lup wa' vatlhvI' pIq (1/100th of a second from now) works, even
> if it refers to a time period 1/100th of a second in the future: a period of
> time as close to "now" as makes no difference to the casual bystander.
>
> I can happily stand by "DaH pIq" accordingly.
>
> DaH pIq would possibly be used in proclamations such as *DaH pIq qor HoD
> toDujDaj'e' Hoch tlhIngan lopjaj." - "From this time forwards [literally,
> "at the time from this moment"], may all Klingons celebrate Lord Kor's
> bravery," or for commands such as *DaH pIq Duj So'lu' "From this time
> forwards the ship will be cloaked."
>
> > {DaH} means 'now', and I thought {pIq} was used as
> > {<duration> pIq}
> > meaning '<duration> from now, forwards in time' (e.g.
> > 'in two hours').
> > So I parse the above as 'now from now' which does not make
> > sense. So
> > there is something I have misunderstood, I'm afraid.
>
> > The examples with generations and honorable battles make
> > perfect
> > sense, though.
>
> Thank you.

Back to archive top level