tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 10 15:57:14 2010

Re: qoSwIj

Alex Greene ([email protected])

> > puq poHmey law' pIq "Many generations hence ..."

> > DaH pIq "From this time forward ..."

> vIyajbe'qu'!

pIq refers to a point of time measured relative to the moment of utterance of the statement. A time that is X units from the time this statement is made. (Same goes for ret, of course).

I read the definition of pIq as "time from now (future)", unless I downloaded it from the KLI wrongly somehow.

In any case, DaH is equivalent to *pagh lup pIq, as it were: a time period /zero/ seconds from this moment.

Even *wa' lup wa' vatlhvI' pIq (1/100th of a second from now) works, even if it refers to a time period 1/100th of a second in the future: a period of time as close to "now" as makes no difference to the casual bystander.

I can happily stand by "DaH pIq" accordingly.

DaH pIq would possibly be used in proclamations such as *DaH pIq qor HoD toDujDaj'e' Hoch tlhIngan lopjaj." - "From this time forwards [literally, "at the time from this moment"], may all Klingons celebrate Lord Kor's bravery," or for commands such as *DaH pIq Duj So'lu' "From this time forwards the ship will be cloaked."

> {DaH} means 'now', and I thought {pIq} was used as
> {<duration> pIq}
> meaning '<duration> from now, forwards in time' (e.g.
> 'in two hours').
> So I parse the above as 'now from now' which does not make
> sense. So
> there is something I have misunderstood, I'm afraid.

> The examples with generations and honorable battles make
> perfect
> sense, though.

Thank you.

Back to archive top level