tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 30 13:00:59 2009

Re: Double negatives

Christopher Doty wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 11:45, ghunchu'wI' 'utlh <[email protected]> wrote:
>> There's also {yIH vIHIjbe'} "I'm not transporting tribbles." It
>> doesn't mean you are doing something to tribbles called "not
>> transporting". It means you're not "transporting tribbles".
>
> Then Okrand is wrong when he says that <-be'> negates what immediately
> precedes it?

I missed this part on my last message. I think it's just another
indication that Klingon as presented by Okrand isn't quite as black and
white as you deem it to be. TKD gives us the basic rules only. We
sometimes learn more complicated rules. Sometimes we learn about
individual exceptions. New rules seem to blatantly contradict
established examples. But we never get anything that says "This is
absolutely the only way this works; don't even bother questioning it."

--
SuStel
tlhIngan Hol MUSH

Back to archive top level