tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 30 06:31:12 2009

Re: Double negatives

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh ([email protected])

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 8:44 AM,  <[email protected]> wrote:
> Is there a canon stance regarding the use of double negatives in tlhIngan Hol?

Klingon does not employ "negative concord" the way some languages do.
Double negatives in Klingon appear to act the way they do in Standard
English, with one negating the other and yielding an affirmative
meaning.

{not qaleghpu'} "I've never seen you."
{not qaleghbe'pu'} "I've never not seen you." (i.e. "I've always noticed you.")

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level