tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 24 18:08:03 2009

Re: The topic marker -'e'

ghunchu'wI' ([email protected])

On Nov 24, 2009, at 8:32 PM, Christopher Doty wrote:

> The original discussion was, I think, about
> S's and A's, and these ARE different: intransitive verbs take S
> prefixes, and transitive verbs take A/O prefixes, so the distinction
> between S and A is important.

That looks like a tautology, and it looks incomplete at best.  It
doesn't say anything about the actual subjects.  Is there really a
distinction between the kinds of subject in the two sentences {jISop}
and {vISop}?  {jISop} bears the same prefix as {jIbIr}; do they have
the same sorts of subjects?

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level