tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 24 18:17:09 2009

Re: pu'jIn

Christopher Doty ([email protected])

Yeah, and in rereading that section, it seems a bit like he's
hand-waving (maybe because previous actors had say things
differently?)...  Seems like prosodic evidence isn't the best (or even
a useful) line of attack...

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 18:02, David Trimboli <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> For a semantic difference, perhaps {'Iwghargh} "bloodworm" vs. {'Iw
>>> ghargh} "blood's worm" or "worm of blood"?
>>>
>>> I can't speak for everyone, but when I say {HolQeD}, the first
>>> syllable gets less stress than when I say {Hol QeD}.
>>
>> This is what I would expect, since the final syllable of a noun gets
>> stressed, so two nouns that are independent of each other (that is, in
>> a N-N construction) likely have independent stress on both nouns, but
>> HolQeD, since it is a compound, should only have stress on the QeD,
>> no?
>
> We have *very* little clear evidence on stress in Klingon. Okrand's
> pronunciation on the tapes and the KCD game often contradict TKD's
> section 1.3. I have an instinctive understanding of how Okrand stresses
> words, and I stress them the same way, but I'm not able to summarize
> those rules. I think we both tend to apply English stress patterns,
> except when there is a glottal stop at the end of a syllable, in which
> case we stress it. I even break the rules in my own name: I stress the
> {SuS}, not the {tel}. When hearing other people say my name at
> qep'a'mey, it sounds weird, because they usually follow the rules in TKD.
>
> --
> SuStel
> tlhIngan Hol MUSH
> http://trimboli.name/mush