tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 23 16:38:03 2009

Re: The topic marker -'e'

Christopher Doty ([email protected])

I am rather tired of debating this point.  If Klingon for the Galactic
Traveller outlines things that Klingons "actually" say which Okrand
labels "ungrammatical," he is using a softer definition equivalent to
"improper" or "incorrect."  Fluent speakers of languages do not
intentionally say things which are ungrammatical.

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 16:29, ghunchu'wI' <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Nov 23, 2009, at 7:07 PM, André Müller wrote:
>
>> 2009/11/23 Christopher Doty <[email protected]>
>>> This is kind of a silly argument, though, because Okrand's work
>>> doesn't outline ungrammatical possibilities, it outlines grammatical
>>> possibilities...
>>>
>> Okrand's work doesn't outline ungrammatical possibilities, this
>> means that
>> we cannot be sure if a sentence is ungrammatical, unless we're told
>> so by
>> Himself.
>
> peqIm!  _qIb lengwI' tlhIngan Hol_ bolaDnISqu'!  pabHa'bogh mu'mey
> Delbej.
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level