tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 23 10:06:48 2009

Re: Once more into the ship in which I fled

Steven Boozer wrote:
> SuStel:
>
> te'reS:
>
> Voragh:
>>> For reference, here are all the canon examples I know of with
>>> both {-bogh} and {-Daq}:
>
> SuStel:
>> I have pared the list down to those which apply to the current
>> discussion.
>>
>>> meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv qoH neH Only a fool fights in a burning
>>> house. (TKW)
>> meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv fight in a building which is burning
>>
>>> loS... qIb HeHDaq, 'u' SepmeyDaq Sovbe'lu'bogh lenglu'meH He
>>> ghoSlu'bogh retlhDaq 'oHtaH It waits... on the edge of the
>>> galaxy, beside a passage to unknown regions of the universe.
>>> (SkyBox S99)
>> SepmeyDaq Sovbe'lu'bogh lenglu'meH He way for one to travel to
>> regions which one does not know
>>
>> I don't have my sources with me, but I am curious to know whether
>> any of the other Type 5 noun suffixes show up this way.

Once again I remove those which do not show Type 5 noun suffixes on the
head noun of the relative clause.

> butlh ghajbogh nuv'e' yIHo' Admire the person with dirt under his
> fingernails. TKW
 >
> tajwIj 'oHbe' chorlIj jeqbogh Dochvetlh'e' That is not my dagger
> protruding from your midsection. FTG
>
> yIntaHvIS qeylIS'e' lIjlaHbe'bogh vay' batlh 'etlhvam chenmoHlu'pu'
> this sword of honor descends from the time of Kahless the
> Unforgettable. S8
>
> qorDu'Daj tuq 'oS Ha'quj'e' tuQbogh wo'rIv The sash that Worf wears
> is a symbol of his family's house. S20

The next one is only kind of an example:

> choH lISbogh Hap'e': cha'pujqut Reaction Moderating Element -
> Crystalline Dilithium. KBoP

I say "only kind of" because the head noun does not play any role in a
sentence: it is an isolated noun phrase. It is not subject, object, or
anything else.

> yejquv DevwI' moj ghawran 'e' wuqta' cho' 'oDwI' Dapu'bogh janluq
> pIqarD HoD. Gowron... named leader of the High Council by Captain
> Jean-Luc Picard, who was acting as Arbiter of Succession. S25

There are no Type 5 noun suffixes in this sentence at all. It's
otherwise interesting because of the supposedly illegal Type 7 suffix on
a verb using /'e'/ as its object.

--
SuStel
Stardate 9477.6