tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 20 14:12:16 2009

Re: Once more into the ship in which I fled

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

--- On Sat, 6/20/09, David Trimboli <[email protected]> wrote:

> Terrence Donnelly wrote:
> > Not to be a contrarian or anything, but what about the
> proverb
> > {meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv qoH neH}? I know MO originally
> said he
> > couldn't make relative clauses work as anything but
> subjects or
> > objects, except here he did.
>
> He couldn't make the head noun of a relative clause be
> anything other
> than the subject or object *of the relative clause*, not of
> the main
> sentence.

Now this I can agree wholeheartedly with. But is it then possible that the head noun can be either the subject, object, or _any Type-5 suffixed noun_ to the main verb?

Which wouldn't have any answers for the "ship in which I fled", since the head noun is not the subject or object of the relative verb.

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level