tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 22 08:13:37 2009

Re: Once more into the ship in which I fled

Steven Boozer wrote:
> te'reS:
>
> SuStel:
>
> te'reS:
>>> Now this I can agree wholeheartedly with. But is it then possible
>>>  that the head noun can be either the subject, object, or _any
>>> Type-5 suffixed noun_ to the main verb?
>
> SuStel:
>> I don't see why not. They're very easy to construct.
>>
>> DujDaq vIje'bogh bIba'. You sat in the ship which I bought.
>>
>> meQtaHbogh pa'vo' yIHaw'! Get out of the burning room!
>>
>> mangghommo' vIra'bogh tlhab yuQvam. This planet is free because of
>> the army I command.
>>
>> qoghDu' tlhaQ ghajbogh tera'nganvaD chaw' yInob. Give the Terran
>> with the funny ears a permit.
>>
>> qIbDaq tlhIngan Hol jatlhbogh SuvwI''e' SoH Dun law' HoS Dun puS.
>> You are the greatest Klingon-speaking warrior in the galaxy.
>
> For reference, here are all the canon examples I know of with both
> {-bogh} and {-Daq}:

I have pared the list down to those which apply to the current discussion.

> meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv qoH neH Only a fool fights in a burning house.
> (TKW)

meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv
fight in a building which is burning

> loS... qIb HeHDaq, 'u' SepmeyDaq Sovbe'lu'bogh lenglu'meH He
> ghoSlu'bogh retlhDaq 'oHtaH It waits... on the edge of the galaxy,
> beside a passage to unknown regions of the universe. (SkyBox S99)

SepmeyDaq Sovbe'lu'bogh lenglu'meH He
way for one to travel to regions which one does not know

I don't have my sources with me, but I am curious to know whether any of
the other Type 5 noun suffixes show up this way.

--
SuStel
Stardate 9474.6

Back to archive top level