tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 01 04:50:58 2009

Re: chay' "Get out of the way!" ra'lu'?

Doq ([email protected])

Interesting.

I've always thought of {ghoS} to mean to move along a path. It's
object (direct or indirect) tends to be a location along the path.

So {Hevo' ghoS!} strikes me as remarkably odd. I'm sure it's just my
odd interpretation of {ghoS}.

Just for the sake of discussion, how does {yIghoSHa'!} work for you?
Keep in mind that this is not {yIghoSbe'}, which could easily be
interpreted as telling you to stop in the path. "Do not move along the
path!". I think that {yIghoSHa'} could easily be the best way to tell
someone to disengage from the path, which is what you mean when you
say "Get out of the way!".

{ghoS} is so tightly bound to the idea of a path, implied whether the
path is identified or not. Even if you like to interpret {ghoSHa'} as
to proceed along a path badly, what you are really saying is that the
subject is stepping aside from what should be the path. To command one
to do so would imply getting them out of the path.

I doubt you'd like it on first thought, but give it a second thought
and then tell me what you think.

That or {Hevo' yIleng!}. If you don't like the perhaps interpreted
casualness of {leng}, then {pe'vIl Hevo' yIleng!}

Or perhaps {HIbotQo'!} Equally concise.

Anything but {Hevo' yIghoS!}, which strikes me as a paradox. "Move
from the path along the path."

Doq

On May 30, 2009, at 11:41 AM, ghunchu'wI' wrote:

> Hevo' ghoS!
>

> roD nIteb tlhIngan Hol vIqeq jIlengtaHvIS.  muwaQDI' Duj, pIj jIjatlh
> «HewIjvo' yIghoS!»
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level