tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 01 14:49:43 2009

Re: chay' "Get out of the way!" ra'lu'?

Brent Kesler ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 4:49 AM, Doq <[email protected]> wrote:

> I've always thought of {ghoS} to mean to move along a path. It's
> object (direct or indirect) tends to be a location along the path.

I don't think {ghoS} implies a path, just a destination. {yuQ
wIghoStaH} "We are proceeding to the planet". You are in space. There
is no path, except for the rule that two points make a line. But if
we're being pursued, we might be proceeding towards the planet in a
seprentine fashion. I think {ghoS} would still work.

> Just for the sake of discussion, how does {yIghoSHa'!} work for you?
> Keep in mind that this is not {yIghoSbe'}, which could easily be
> interpreted as telling you to stop in the path. "Do not move along the
> path!".

Wouldn't that be {yIghoSQo'}?

> I think that {yIghoSHa'} could easily be the best way to tell
> someone to disengage from the path, which is what you mean when you
> say "Get out of the way!".

For me it reads as "return". {bIghoSta', vaj yIghoSHa'} "You have
gone, so come back!" or "You have arrived, so go back!"

See also TKW 189:
- {Huch nobHa'bogh verenganpu''e' yIvoqQo'} Don't trust Ferengi who
give back money.

Note the verb {nobHa'}. I like to think of {-Ha'} as denoting the
"anti-action" of a verb. To give is {nob}, so to return something that
was given to you is {nobHa'}, to "ungive" or to undo the action of
giving. If {ghoS} means "go somewhere", then {ghoSHa'} means "go
back", to undo the original action of going somewhere.

bI'reng

> {ghoS} is so tightly bound to the idea of a path, implied whether the
> path is identified or not. Even if you like to interpret {ghoSHa'} as
> to proceed along a path badly, what you are really saying is that the
> subject is stepping aside from what should be the path. To command one
> to do so would imply getting them out of the path.
>
> I doubt you'd like it on first thought, but give it a second thought
> and then tell me what you think.
>
> That or {Hevo' yIleng!}. If you don't like the perhaps interpreted
> casualness of {leng}, then {pe'vIl Hevo' yIleng!}
>
> Or perhaps {HIbotQo'!} Equally concise.
>
> Anything but {Hevo' yIghoS!}, which strikes me as a paradox. "Move
> from the path along the path."
>
> Doq
>
> On May 30, 2009, at 11:41 AM, ghunchu'wI' wrote:
>
>> Hevo' ghoS!
>>

>> roD nIteb tlhIngan Hol vIqeq jIlengtaHvIS.  muwaQDI' Duj, pIj jIjatlh
>> «HewIjvo' yIghoS! »
>>
>> -- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level