tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 01 04:27:24 2009

Re: -vaD

Doq ([email protected])

I can't ignore Okrand's use of the word "beneficiary". The mission
receives a benefit from the information, hence {Qu'vaD}. In your last
example, honor is benefitted by your fighting and your dying. The
example that precedes it, however isn't so clearly benefitting you,
unless you are at a market, seeking to buy an assassin's knife, and
this is what the merchant says to you while waving his hand over the
wide variety of styles in his collection.

I see this as similar to problems with some usage of {-meH}. It's
tempting to say, for example, when speaking of someone who mumbles or
speaks with a thick accent: {vIyajmeH Qatlh Qu'.} The difficulty of
the task of understanding him isn't really promoting the intent
purpose of my understanding him. Fortunately, {-meH} can be applied to
nouns, so we can instead say {Qatlh vIyajmeH Qu'.} "The in-order-that-
I-understand-him task is difficult." That makes more sense to me.

For your "bullet with your name on it" meaning, unless there's a
similar colloquial phrase to go by, I'd favor something like, {naDev
law' qutluchmey 'ej bIratlhtaHchugh DaHoHlu'.}

Doq

On May 29, 2009, at 11:36 PM, Fiat Knox wrote:

> -vaD, I thought, meant "for, intended for." One example given in TKD
> is, of course,
>
> Qu'vaD lI' net tu'bej - One clearly finds the information useful for
> the mission.
>
> So you could construct sentences like
>
> naDev SoHvaD qutluch tu'lu'bej - There is an assassin's knife here
> that is clearly intended for you. (perhaps the Klingon equivalent of
> "a bullet with one's name on it").
>
> and
>
> quvvaD jISuvtaH 'ej jIHeghbej - For honour, I shall fight and shall
> most certainly die.

Back to archive top level