tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 01 17:36:28 2009

Re: chay' "Get out of the way!" ra'lu'?

ghunchu'wI' ([email protected])

On Jun 1, 2009, at 7:49 AM, Doq wrote:

> I've always thought of {ghoS} to mean to move along a path. It's
> object (direct or indirect) tends to be a location along the path.

I agree with this interpretation.  I typically think of it as "follow
a course", though using a different verb or phrase usually makes for
a smoother translation.

> So {Hevo' ghoS!} strikes me as remarkably odd. I'm sure it's just my
> odd interpretation of {ghoS}.

The {He} in {Hevo'} doesn't *have* to be the same unstated {He} that
{ghoS} wants to imply.  {HewIjvo' yIghoS} seems no less odd to me
than {naDevvo' yIghoS}, which we know to be a proper command.  I
understand the distinction you'd like to make between "follow a
course from here" and "follow a course from my course", and I agree
that it sounds funny in English, but I don't think it's particularly
shrug-worthy in Klingon.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level