tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 01 09:21:49 2009

Re: "Authentic" Klingon materials

Steven Boozer wrote:
>   puH (wo'?) taQDaq leng 'alIS
>   Alice travels in the weird country (empire?)

I kind of like {puH taQDaq leng Alice}.

>> Now, "Through the Looking-glass" isn't hard (SIla' vegh), but "Through
>> the Looking-glass and What Alice Found There" is a little harder. For
>> obvious reasons, I'm going to transliterate Alice and not mark it. Maybe
>> something like this:
>>
>>    SIla' vegh 'alIS: Hoch tu'pu'bogh
>
> We can get closer than that (even though it's a bit wordy):
>
>   SIla' vegh 'alIS 'ej pa' Hoch('e') tu'pu'bogh ghaH

I thought of that, but it's not correct: conjunctions either join two
noun phrases or two verbal clauses, not a clause and a phrase.
Technically, though, the English version commits this same error, unless
the title is meant to be considered as two titles: "'Through the
Looking-glass' and 'What Alice Found There.'"

--
SuStel
tlhIngan Hol MUSH

Back to archive top level