tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 01 09:01:45 2009

RE: "Authentic" Klingon materials

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Mark J. Reed wrote:
>> puH DunDaq *'alIS* ... How to convey "adventure"?  Since it's in the
>> TMP tagline I'm a bit surprised it's not in TKD.
SuStel:
>"Wonderland" isn't "wonderful"; it is filled with "wonders." I can't
>think of anything that does the idea justice. {HujwI''a'} "great,
>strange things"?

{Huj} "be strange".  Also {nov} "be foreign/alien", {jum} "be odd", {taQ} "be weird"; cf. also {le'} "be special/exceptional" and {motlhbe'} "be unusual".  Of these I like {taQ}:

  taQ tlhIngan wo'
  The Klingon empire is weird. KGT

KGT 194:  There is a story, perhaps apocryphal, of a non-Klingon actor who attempted to play the lead in the original Klingon version of Shakespeare's Hamlet but was shouted off the stage when he began the famous soliloquy by saying, {taQ pagh taQbe'} ("To be weird or not to be weird"), rather than the correct {taH pagh taHbe'} ("To be or not to be"...).

So:

  puH (wo'?) taQDaq leng 'alIS
  Alice travels in the weird country (empire?)

>Then you have to avoid the illegal Type 5 suffix in the noun phrase.
>
>    Alice HujwI''a' puH leng
>
>Now, "Through the Looking-glass" isn't hard (SIla' vegh), but "Through
>the Looking-glass and What Alice Found There" is a little harder. For
>obvious reasons, I'm going to transliterate Alice and not mark it. Maybe
>something like this:
>
>    SIla' vegh 'alIS: Hoch tu'pu'bogh

We can get closer than that (even though it's a bit wordy):

  SIla' vegh 'alIS 'ej pa' Hoch('e') tu'pu'bogh ghaH

Hmm... since the two novels are so closely associated, how about this for the first:

  'och vegh 'alIS ...
  Alice goes through the tunnel (i.e. rabbit hole) ...

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level