tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 22 12:47:53 2007

Re: Klingon words from _Diplomatic Implausibility_ (DI)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Quvar wrote:
>The lines reads:
>{Qa'Da'} - krada legs: "Food made from the extremities of a krada."
>
>The gloss indicates clearly that this animal is called "krada", and I
>suppose it might be related to the Qa' and the Qa'Hom.
>
>But should this type of food not be called {Qa'Da' lemDu'} or {Qa'Da'
>'uSDu'}? ... hm... Perhaps this dish is just called like that, omitting
>the 'uSDu', because nothing else of the Qa'Da' can be eaten??

Or just {Qa'Da' 'uS} without the plural suffix?  {pIpyuS pach} pipius claw,
{bIreQtagh} bregit lung, {targh tIq} heart of targ, and {Qaj tlhuQ} kradge
tail are usually referred to in the singular.  Interestingly, KCD
explicitly says that {tIqnagh lemDu'} tknag hooves are always referred to
in the plural, so perhaps the singular form for food items is the norm.

Of course, that doesn't explain why DeCandido omitted the body part
here.  In the novel, does he refer to them as just {Qa'Da'} or "{Qa'Da'}
legs" in the text?

BTW, krada legs were mentioned in DS9 "The Sound of Her Voice" when Kira
wanted to visit the Klingon restaurant on Deep Space Nine with Odo, as she
had a craving for krada legs.  (See
"<http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Klingon_restaurant>http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Klingon_restaurant";
)

--