tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 08 07:48:58 2007

Re: Klingon words from _Diplomatic Implausibility_ (DI)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:

> >> It's possible that Okrand didn't bother correcting names which didn't
> >> Still... whoever coined {HuDyuQ} may have been familiar  wit
> >> {SermanyuQ} "Sherman's Planet"

Quvar:
> >Well, why not? Read as a name, it sound like "Sherman-planet".
> >
> >And for {HuDyuQ}, there is no doubt. Marc Okrand explains in TKD
> >how to make compound nouns, so {HuD} "mountain" + {yuQ} "planet"
> >= {HuDyuQ} "mountainplanet" is completely legal.

Qov:
>Some people read that as "how to make compound nouns" and I think
>most who do already speak a language where novel compounding is
>accepted, like German. Most people read it as saying that some
>Klingon nouns have come about through such a process, but not as
>permission to create more of our own.

As much as I like compound nouns in Klingon, I tend to agree with
Qov.  When it comes to creating these nouns, not even Okrand is
predictable.  For example "bloodwine" is almost universally written as one
word by Paramount and fandom, yet when Okrand finally discussed it in KGT
he chose to write it as two words: {'Iw HIq} - which surprised many of
us.  (In retrospect, however, this two word spelling is entirely consistent
with the names of other alcoholic beverages:  {cha'vatlh ben HIq} two
century old ale, {ghargh HIq} worm wine, reghuluS 'Iw HIq  Regulan
bloodwine (heard in CK), {romuluS HIq} Romulan ale, {Sorya' HIq} Saurian
brandy.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons