tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 04 07:51:58 2007

Re: Klingon words from _Diplomatic Implausibility_ (DI)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> >Okrand provided words and expressions for [...] Keith R.A. DeCandido's
> >novel Diplomatic Implausibility (DI).  The problem is that we don't know
> >if *all* the tlhIngan Hol in the novels was his or whether the authors
> >coined a few words they needed after they had talked with him.
> >
> >{HuDyuQ} - a mountainous Klingon planet: "The name derives from the words
> >meaning 'mountain' and 'planet'."
> >
> >{taD} - a frozen planet in the Korvad system containing rich deposits of
> >topaline

Qov:
>I'm suspicious of HuDyuQ and taD, as those look like the result of
>someone just looking things up in the dictionary. Not that my country
>doesn't have its share of "Lake Mountain" and "Mountain Lake"-type
>geographical names.

It's possible that Okrand didn't bother correcting names which didn't come
from the TV episodes.  Artistic license and all that.  Still... whoever
coined {HuDyuQ} may have been familiar with {SermanyuQ} "Sherman's Planet"
(TOS "The Trouble with Tribbles") written unexpectedly by Okrand as one
word instead of two.

These bland descriptive names may be explained in the novel.  Has anyone
read it?  (I haven't.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons