tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 06 11:02:46 2007

Re: Klingon words from _Diplomatic Implausibility_ (DI)

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

At 01:19 PM 10/6/2007, you wrote:
>ja' vay':
> > words meaning 'mountain' and 'planet'."
> > It's possible that Okrand didn't bother correcting names which didn't
> > Still... whoever coined {HuDyuQ} may have been familiar
> > with {SermanyuQ} "Sherman's Planet"
>
>Well, why not? Read as a name, it sound like "Sherman-planet".
>
>And for {HuDyuQ}, there is no doubt. Marc Okrand explains in TKD how
>to make compound nouns, so
>{HuD} "mountain" + {yuQ} "planet"
>= {HuDyuQ} "mountainplanet"
>is completely legal.

Some people read that as "how to make compound nouns" and I think
most who do already speak a language where novel compounding is
accepted, like German. Most people read it as saying that some
Klingon nouns have come about through such a process, but not as
permission to create more of our own.

It's like someone seeing that some English words are the same as
French words except without an e on the end, and thinking that gave
them leave to use any French word in English, as long as they took off the E.

I had never heard of those words before, but if Marc said they were
okay, they're okay by me.

-Qov.

Back to archive top level