tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 19 18:52:33 2007

Re: jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe'

ja' qa'vaj:

> Does that imply that <pronoun> is not a grammatical sentence,
> because can't the topic be placed in the header as well?

A lone pronoun as a sentence might or might not be grammatical.
We've never seen one, and TKD doesn't describe pronouns as verbs
without putting either an object or a locative in front of them.
Depending on one's interpretation, {jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe'} could
be an example of a pronoun with verb suffixes acting as a clause with
neither an object nor a locative, but if that's the case, it still
has a head noun.

I don't see how header-placed topics have any bearing on the
question.  (Actually, I'm not all that comfortable with the concept
of header-placed topics in general.  The only place I can remember
having seen one in canon is in a {law'/puS} construction, which
doesn't follow the typical O-V-S pattern of a Klingon sentence anyway.)

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level