tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 18 20:26:49 2007

Re: jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe'

qa'vaj ([email protected])

On Dec 18, 2007 9:29 PM, David Trimboli <[email protected]> wrote:

> In the sentence
>
>    pa'DajDaq ghaH HoD'e'
>    The captain is in his quarters
>
> what English has as a preposition Klingon has, in my analysis, a nominal
> predicative. As before, it's a noun that complements the pronoun. {HoD}
> is not used as the predicative here because {pa'DajDaq} is. This is why
> it's not *{pa'DajDaq HoD ghaH}.
>
> Whether the predicative is a locative or not is irrelevant to the
> analysis of the grammar. All copulas can be described as
>
>    <predicative> <pronoun> [topic]'e'

I agree that the 'predicative' can in the appropriate cases be a noun with
the suffix <<-Daq>>.  But I don't see any reason to force that to always be
the case, when the grammar (as I have always used it) works without doing
this.  Just a plain old locative in the header slot.  Are you going to do
this to all the type-5 suffixed nouns?

What are your proposals for:

pa'DajDaq chachmo' jIHvaD 'oH QIn'e'

jIHvaD pa'DajDaq chachmo' 'oH QIn'e'