tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 19 10:01:17 2007

Re: jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe'

qa'vaj ([email protected])

On Dec 19, 2007 9:52 AM, David Trimboli <[email protected]> wrote:

>    pa'DajDaq rejmorgh ghaH HoD'e'
>    In his quarters, the captain is a worrywart.
>
> The "being" is not about "being in his quarters," it's about "being a
> worrywart." {rejmorgh} is a predicative; {pa'DajDaq} is a header.

qatlho'.

I did expect that if an unmarked noun were placed in the 'predicative' slot,
you would move the marked nouns to the header.  That's why I was careful not
to add such a noun. :)  I wasn't sure if you would take all of the marked
nouns as predicative, or just the one closest to the pronoun-as-verb.

Returning to:

pa'DajDaq ghaH HoD'e'

Is there a semantic difference that you can elaborate between viewing
pa'DajDaq as the predicative as opposed to a header?

When viewed as a header, an elaborative translation would be:

"The captain is being.  In the room is where the captain is being"

Can you state a corresponding elaborative translation for the interpretation
as a predicative?
(more elaboration than "The captain's being is in the room" or "The captain
is being in the room").  I'm having trouble zeroing-in on a crisp semantic
distinction.

--
qa'vaj
qo'lIj DachenmoHtaH