tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 19 07:54:35 2007

Re: jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe'

qa'vaj wrote:
> I agree that the 'predicative' can in the appropriate cases be a noun with
> the suffix <<-Daq>>.  But I don't see any reason to force that to always be
> the case, when the grammar (as I have always used it) works without doing
> this.  Just a plain old locative in the header slot.  Are you going to do
> this to all the type-5 suffixed nouns?
>
> What are your proposals for:
>
> pa'DajDaq chachmo' jIHvaD 'oH QIn'e'
>
> jIHvaD pa'DajDaq chachmo' 'oH QIn'e'

You misunderstand. I do not claim that all nouns with type 5 suffixes,
or even just all locative nouns, must be a predicative. I'm saying that
when the noun is what the pronoun's "being" is all about, then it's the
predicative. That's what a predicative is.

In your examples I DO say that all the nouns that aren't {QIn'e'} are
predicatives. But one can also invent a sentence in which such nouns
aren't predicatives:

    pa'DajDaq rejmorgh ghaH HoD'e'
    In his quarters, the captain is a worrywart.

The "being" is not about "being in his quarters," it's about "being a
worrywart." {rejmorgh} is a predicative; {pa'DajDaq} is a header.

SuStel
Stardate 7966.2

--
Practice the Klingon language on the tlhIngan Hol MUSH.
http://trimboli.name/klingon/mush.html

Back to archive top level