tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 06 20:03:01 2007

Re: Psalm 23

naHQun ([email protected])

On 4/6/07, Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:
> Alpha Omicron:
> > >  thou anointest my head with oil; [KJV]
>
> Voragh:
> > > Some people have used {ngoH} "smear, paint using fingers" for
> > > "anoint".  {lIch} "pour (into/onto anything)" would also work.
> > > Instead of {pI'} "be fat" use {jeD} "be thick/dense/viscous".
> > >
> > >   nachwIjDaq taS jeD DangoH
> > >   you smear thick liquid on my head
> > >
> > >   nachwIjDaq taS jeD DalIch
> > >   you pour thick liquid on my head
>
> naHQun:
> >FYI In my religion, when we anoint somone's head with oil, we put one
> >drop of oil on the top of their head (generally wherever they have a
> >part in their hair and we can get to actual scalp), so in that case
>
> {lan} "place, put" is pretty vague:
>
>   nuqDaq Dochvam vIlan
>   What do I do with this? ("Where do I put this?") TKD
>
> >neither "smear" or "pour" would really work.  Is there another way to
> >phrase this?
>
> How does the oil actually get from the priest's hand to the celebrant's
> head?  If he uses his fingers, then {ngoH} or maybe {Hot} "touch, feel"
> would work.  If he pours it out of a container or dribbles it from a spoon,
> then this is {lIch}.  Does he throw or hurl {jaD} it?  Note Okrand's
> comment on {ngoH}:

Elder's in our church generally carry a vile of oil on their key chain
("be prepared"), and a drop is placed on the recepient's head. To me
"pour" means that more liquid is flowing than one drop, like pouring a
beverage into a glass; although I guess the physical motion of tipping
the vile,and tipping a pitcher is the same.

~naHQun

--
Can that which is unsavoury be eaten without salt? or is there any
taste in the white of an egg?

Back to archive top level