tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 05 20:41:23 2007

Re: Psalm 23

naHQun ([email protected])

On 4/5/07, Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:
> At 04:42 PM Wednesday 4/4/2007, alpha Omicron you wrote:
>
> >I have made a translation attempt for Psalm 23, looking for corrections.
>
> Here are a few suggestions just to get the ball rolling...
>

> >nachwIjDaq taS pI' lan;
>
> 5 thou anointest my head with oil; [KJV]
> 5 you anoint my head with oil; [ESV]
>
> Some people have used {ngoH} "smear, paint using fingers" for
> "anoint".  {lIch} "pour (into/onto anything)" would also work.
>
> Instead of {pI'} "be fat" use {jeD} "be thick/dense/viscous".
>
>   nachwIjDaq taS jeD DangoH
>   you smear thick liquid on my head
>
>   nachwIjDaq taS jeD DalIch
>   you pour thick liquid on my head
>
> Don't forget the prefix {Da-} "you [do something] to it"
>

> --
> Voragh
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

FYI In my religion, when we anoint somone's head with oil, we put one
drop of oil on the top of their head (generally wherever they have a
part in their hair and we can get to actual scalp), so in that case
neither "smear" or "pour" would really work. Is there another way to
phrase this?

~naHQun

--
Can that which is unsavoury be eaten without salt? or is there any
taste in the white of an egg?

Back to archive top level