tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 06 15:03:43 2007

Re: Psalm 23

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

On Apr 5, 2007, at 11:40 PM, naHQun wrote:

> >> 5 thou anointest my head with oil; [KJV]
> >> 5 you anoint my head with oil; [ESV]
> > FYI In my religion, when we anoint somone's head with oil, we put one
> > drop of oil on the top of their head (generally wherever they have a
> > part in their hair and we can get to actual scalp), so in that case
> > neither "smear" or "pour" would really work. Is there another way to
> > phrase this?

Doq:
>nachwIjDaq nIn DanIj.

Nice.  {nIj} "leak" for "dribble" though, like it's antonym {SoD} "flood",
it's probably intransitive - {nIj nIn} "the fuel leaks/is leaking".  But
that's an easy fix:  {nIjmoH} "cause to leak".

You used {nIn} "fuel" for oil because that's the closest we have,
right?  WRT fuel oil, I have *nIn chIS and *nIn wov suggested for
"gasoline, kerosene, petrol" and *{nIn Hurgh} and *{nIn qIj} for "oil,
petroleum" - none of which are used in churches for anointing the faithful
I'd imagine. <g>

There's also a word from Keith R.A. DeCandido's "IKS Gorkon"
novels:  *{ngIS} "lubricant used on disruptor cannons".  Okrand has helped
DeCandido with vocabulary in the past, but I don't know if he did this
time.  (It sounds suspiciously like "grease" - which doesn't disqualify it
from being one of Okrand's puns, of course!)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level